Sunday, April 14, 2013

No homecoming for us...

I called into the NICU this morning, as I do every morning to see how Arianna did overnight. Well, the good news is that she gained 45g last night! woohoo!  Apparently, the night nurses gave her a ton to eat...but through her feeding tube.   The daytime nurse, who we had both yesterday and today, was very patient with her and used the feeding tube as a last resort.  Well, apparently, the night nurse had no such patience and just fed her everything through the tube.   Any type of food in the tummy is good right? Wrong.

When I got to the NICU, I said I was super excited to get her home Monday or Tuesday.  The nurse said there is just no way. Arianna has to be off the feeding tube for 24 hours for it to get taken out. THEN, she has to prove that she can gain weight/eat reliably on her own for 24-48 hours. So we are looking closer to next weekend! It's just so frustrating because I feel like I just have them emptiness when I'm at home without her.   Today I was holding her super close and she was doing the same type of movements that she did when she was in my belly, and I just felt so sad that I was closer to her when she was inside than now.   I only see her like 7-8 hours a day, for 3 feedings, and then I go back home to help put the other kids to bed.

The nurse said it may make sense for me to try to camp out at the hospital for the next couple days so I can control the feedings. Since the hospital is 45 minutes from my parents' house, it doesn't really make sense to go back and forth. So I'm debating staying at the Ronald McDonald house or some motel for a few days so I can just run over to the hospital when needed. I just want it all to end.   We are so tempted to just bust her out of there. Tell the doctors that we'll take our chances.   Every newborn goes through feeding challenges. It certainly isn't helping her to be away from me for the majority of the day...

Sorry this is a depressing post...I guess it comes with the ups and downs of having a baby in the hospital.  Hopefully I'll have better news tomorrow.

No comments:

Post a Comment