Monday, April 8, 2013

Still in the NICU

I know I promised to be this SuperMom who, in my spare time whilst twiddling my thumbs in the NICU, would be posting to this blog 5 times a day. Well, obviously I was in soon-to-be new mommy bliss and obviously had a warped sense of reality (I think that is actually how people end up having lots of kids-amnesia!).  I have been so tired with my 1.5 hours of sleep between NICU visits, that even when I so much as look at my laptop to think about providing an update, I just shudder.

Today I am getting discharged. Notice I did not say we.  Yesterday, there was a huge debacle as the nurses changed shifts, which ended up having poor Arianna stabbed in every possible vein (with no success) to put another IV line and earned her 2 more nights in the NICU. :(   Not because she is doing worse...only because a nurse was trying to hurry up.  As far as the cardiologists are concerned, she has been cleared to go home for a few days now.

I understand the NICU nurses are very detail oriented and there are no shades of gray, which is why we love them, right? Basically, they took Arianna off of her IV because she was doing well and it would help to stimulate her to eat more.  She did eat more, but for some reason she didn't have any wet diapers from 9am to 6pm.  She had a huge one at 9 and then seconds before jabbing the new IV in her arm at 6, she had another huge one.  I think she must just be ready for potty training since she could hold it that long, but the nurses disagreed.

So now we are here waiting for her to prove she can eat well again and have wet diapers as we decrease the IV.  I think they are trying to find me a room or lounge or somewhere to sleep tonight so I can stay with her.  I think tomorrow I will go home for good, and hopefully she can come Wednesday.   She also is right on the border with jaundice. She doesn't need to be under the lights, but if she gets any more yellow, she may have to.

That's her update!  One other thing...I finally figured out who she looks like!! Sure, she has my coloring, but aside from blond eyelashes and eyebrows, she doesn't really resemble me nor my husband.  She kept giving me this look and I thought, who is that actor...well a few nights ago in my foggy state, it occurred to me!  She is identical to Liam Neeson! HAHA!  I'll try to catch "the look" with a picture!

I finally was forced to turn in the birth certificate document-I was dragging my feet because we couldn't decide on a middle name.   I was here by myself (Jesus was at home taking care of the girls) so I finally just made the executive decision.  Her name is Arianna Anyce Garcia.  This is the exact name that my favorite female cousin was ALMOST named many years ago.  When I mentioned to my uncle that we were going with Arianna, he told me that was the name he had wanted so many years ago, and the middle name was after my Aunt Anyce.  Very special.  Anyce is pronounced AN-eese.

OK all for now.  Keep praying for a speedy release for our baby girl!

No comments:

Post a Comment