Tuesday, May 7, 2013

It's been a little while since my last post. Here's Arianna's update.
As of now, her surgery has been rescheduled for 5/17/13.  We met with the cardiologist on Friday and she said that these little heart babies can change for the worse very quickly, so we might as well get it out of the way. And that means we can head back home to SD sooner rather than later.   I'm actually glad we scheduled it earlier because I have a feeling they will cancel on us for more urgent cases.  So we'll see.

Also, before we left the hospital, Arianna did not pass the hearing test in her left ear.  We went in to meet with the audiologist and she failed it again.  They did further testing and though the eardrum is responding, in several of the tests, the right ear responded much better than the left.   She is scheduled for a diagnostic test tomorrow to find out what the deal is and what we are dealing with here.   The audiologist told me not to freak out...I said "look lady, this is the least of my worries! I know she hears something with the right ear so that's good enough for me!"  It's pretty apparent that there is a difference because when I try to soothe her in the left ear, she is unresponsive, but quiets right down if I shoosh her in her right ear.    Tomorrow's appointment is 4 hours long and she's supposed to be sleeping the whole time. They told me to skip a sleep session and a feeding session so she's good and mad...Ummmm, she can't get really upset!! She turns absolutely dark purple because she's not getting enough good oxigenated blood.  So we'll see what happens.

In addition to her ear issue, at her pediatrician appointment on Friday, apparently her eyes are not tracking exactly.   The doctor said she is still young so maybe they are not focusing quite yet, but that I should watch it VERY closely.   And that I should follow up with an optomologist once we are back in SD. 

All of this got me thinking that the slightly enlarged left ventricle in her brain.  Various different doctors told me it was nothing to worry about, but I'm starting to think all these issues could be related.  I've left a message for the Stanford pediatrician to call me back so we can get a MRI and find out what is going on.

On top of ALLLL of this, I get a call yesterday from the local pediatrician that I should come in right away and get Arianna tested for CMV, which is a virus that about 80% of the population are carriers for, but can be lethal for newborns.   The reason she wants to test Arianna is because CMV causes hearing loss in infants and if we catch it soon enough, there are treatments we can start to prevent further hearing loss.   However, the IV medication apparently has pretty severe side effects and they try to avoid giving it to newborns...AWESOME! :(   Pretty much, if she has this virus, she's not gonna get her surgery, because the virus preys on the compromised immune system.  Needless to say, we're praying she is all clear.

I brought her over there to do a urine catch and it only took 4 hours and 4 bags. The first bag fell off. The second bag leaked and we didn't catch enough urine.  As we were changing bags, she promptly peed all over the table as I was talking to the doctor.   She filled the third bag with SOOOO much poop. it was an absolute disaster. Finally, the 4th bag worked.  Phew!

So there you have it in a nutshell.  This poor peanut will be in touch with just about every type of -ologist on the planet!! She sure is sweet though!  :)

No comments:

Post a Comment